Main Menu

Home Rules and Guidelines

Rules and Guidelines

Drivers Training.

The State Division of Risk Management requires that all University drivers receive defensive driver training. Training information can be found on the U Risk & Insurance Management's website. When taking the training each employee must have a University operator ID, contact Fleet Services for operator ID information.

Out of State Travel.

When taking a University vehicle out of state the following items must be done:

  • Receive approval for the trip from the Dean or Director of your department.
  • Submit approval memo to to University Motor Pool. This can be submitted electronically
  • Approval Memo should include:
    • Date, time, destination and general route for the trip
    • Name, Unid and e-mail address for each driver
    • The vehicle that will be used
      • Vehicle number if the vehicle is owned by the department
      • If renting from the Motor Pool state vehicle type for the rental
      • Number of passengers for the trip.

Office of the Vice President for Administrative Services Memorandum

Since 2001, the University has had special rules for the safe use of passenger vans. A tragic accident involving faculty and students of Utah State University, along with changes in similar rules applied by the State of Utah Department of Administrative Services, prompted a reevaluation of the University's rules. The following rules were developed by an ad hoc committee with representation from Academic Affairs, Health Sciences, Student Affairs and Services, Athletics, and Administrative Services. They were presented to the Council of Academic Deans in February. Please note that the rules are in addition to existing provisions of University Policy 3-030 (Travel)and 3-215 (University Motor Vehicles).


“Large van” means any passenger van larger than a seven-passenger mini-van that is owned by the University or is borrowed, rented or leased from the University, State Fleet Services, commercial rental agencies or any other outside party. This includes 12 and 15 passenger vans.

Whenever an exception is granted, the Cabinet member should notify the Risk and Insurance Management Department in writing.

For ongoing reference these rules may be found at both the University Motor Pool and Risk and Insurance Management web sites, along with safety tips and other information regarding rental and operation of sedans and other vehicles.

These rules are effective immediately. Because departments independently handle van rental arrangements, responsibility for ensuring compliance with these rules necessarily rests with department heads and principal investigators. If a faculty or staff adviser is not present in the van, the cognizant department head or principal investigator should designate the driver or another responsible person to monitor and enforce the rules. We recognize this will require extra time and effort, but believe the added safety is well worth it.

The Motor Pool has been given the responsibility and authority to monitor compliance with these rules. Questions regarding this may be directed to David Rees, Motor Pool Manager at 581-8155 or Questions may also be referred to Jerry Allred, Risk and Insurance Manager at 581-5590 or